(Christopher Robbins) Toxicology reports are still pending in the deaths of two Electric Zoo attendees last month, but authorities are now looking at the possibility that the fatalities were caused by a chemical akin to bath salts, not overdoses of molly (slang for MDMA). The Post reports that 20-year-old Staten Island resident Matthew Rybarczyk died in June after ingesting what he believed was molly at a party on Governors Island, but turned out to be methylone, a chemical that can produce effects similar to MDMA but is often toxic.
Special Narcotics Prosecutor Bridget Brennan says the city is seeing a "proliferation" of methylone being sold on the black market.
"We urgently need a law that would allow us to prosecute the sale of this deadly substance," Brennan said. That law was passed this last legislative session, and is expected to be signed by Governor Cuomo soon.
Photo: Africa Studio/Shutterstock